Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 4 year old male Rottie who has developed a sore on

I have a 4 year old male Rottie who has developed a sore on his cheek. I noticed this Sunday evening as he kept licking his lower leg and paw and used this to wipe over his cheek irritation. I have tried to take a close look and can only see what looks like heat bumps, area is red and when he scratches it it bleeds. I cleaned area with hebie scrub on Monday along with his paws, the next morning I noticed no change so I bathed him and used DermOpt spray irritation. There is a slight odour from him which makes me wonder if he has a fungal infection.
At the moment the sore area has spread a little and is weeping a tiny amount although I'm unsure if this is due to his scratching the area. He continuously licks his front paws and lower leg especially his right one which he uses to wet and scratch his cheek with.
General health is good, he's eating fine and enjoying playing, I've noticed no difference in him except the licking and scratching of sore cheek area.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is there any swelling?
2- Is the sore below the eye or on the side?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no swelling and it's on the side I do have photos but am unsure if I can upload them on here
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

You can post a photo or file on this thread if you have a toolbar.

You will have a toolbar with certain browsers (Mozilla Firefox, Explorer) and not with others (Chrome, Safari).

So, if you have a toolbar, then here is now to post them:

You need to post your files on your question page, so the expert can see them. On your question page, there is a tool bar above the reply box at the bottom of the page. If the tool bar is not showing, click "show tool bar". Once you have the tool bar showing, here are the instructions for posting your files:

For graphics, click the tree icon and then browse to choose a GIF, PNG, or JPG. Upload and then insert it.

For zip files, PDFs, or spreadsheets, you need to use the link tool. Enter text (like "download this") in the reply box and then double-click to highlight it. The link is the tool to the left of the tree. In the upper right corner is a browse dialog box, which you can use to locate your file. Select it and then insert the link. Use the Preview button if you want to test the link and see if it works correctly.

File size is limited to 5 MB.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm actually using my iPad
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sonya, what you are describing is consistent with what we commonly call a "hot spot." Which is an area of infection/inflammation made worst by either licking or scratching. Using the hibiscrub is an excellent ideat. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from scratching/licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from scratching/licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Continue to wash area with hibiscrub 2-3 times a day.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can find a topical antibiotic over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist)

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you I'll try that. I was going to ask my dog groomer to shave the area would that help the healing process?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
That would be great as well. Make sure they use clippers not scissors.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One final question what exactly is a ' hot spot'? And what causes it?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
A hot spot is an area of irritation/inflammation made worst by licking or scratching. Anything that disrupts the skin in that area that causes the dog to further inflicts trauma can cause a hot spot. Things like localized infections, insect bites, a scratch, etc. are all possible causes.

Dr. Peter