Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My germany she pardon collie cross is 15 yrs old he has lost

Customer Question

My germany she pardon collie cross is 15 yrs old he has lost his hearing and his back legs give way now and again and he will fall down stairs he is also dragging one of his legs when he walks he doesn't like to sit down much he just stands and looks at us with sad eyes I don't know if it would be kinder to put him to sleep
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. ...

Scott Nimmo :

This is not easy for you I know and never easy for the vet but over the years I have often been asked when is the right time to put a dog to sleep,

Scott Nimmo :

There is no one easy answer for every case. But whatever condition your dog is suffering from at the end of the day you know Rox best

Scott Nimmo :

And consequently you will know if he is suffering unduly ...

Scott Nimmo :

You know my experience is that if a client is asking this sort of question then there are still good and bad points to weigh up. All you can really do is to weigh up these good and bad points, basically assess the quality of his life on a day by day basis,

Scott Nimmo :

Sooner or later a caring owner like yourself will just wake up one day, take a look at Rox and say enough is enough. On that day follow your instincts, give your vet a call and make the arrangement to quietly put your dog to sleep, almost certainly you will be doing the right thing ...

Customer:

He just looks sad he doesn't growl at us if we touch him but has just this min fell trying to get up on the sofa

Scott Nimmo :

He is an old lad at 15 and the GSD part of him may mean chronic hip problems, it is bit like caring for a person of ninety ...

Scott Nimmo :

You might want to have your vet check Rox over in case there are stronger drugs, most vets will also point you the right way if this is the best thing ...

Customer:

When we take him out he walks along and does the toilet i dont even think he knows he is doing it but he doesn't have any accidents in the house . I feel he is not happy but my husband won't accept it we have had him since he was 6 weeks old from a rescue home and it would kill my husband but i need to do what's best for rox i would hate to think he was in pain and when i turn his paw in it takes a while for him to bring it back out like he has no reflex in his paw

Scott Nimmo :

It does sound to me that you are right, there is little point in keeping dogs going when they reach that stage because things are just going to get worse and as each few weeks passes then so their condition will get a little worse ...

Scott Nimmo :

It would be best to have your husband on your side though, perhaps an appointment at the vets with you both present?

Customer:

We have an appointment for tonight at 6 , thanks for your advice x

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, glad to have advised you ... I know it is not easy for you ...

Customer:

It's the hardest decision we have ever had to make x

Scott Nimmo :

I have kept dogs and cats all my life and even as vet I found this situation very difficult with my own pets ... Your vet will see things from the outside as it were ...

Customer:

Thankyou

Hello again Denise,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Rox is getting on.

How are things going at present, I know he was very unwell?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi scotland

thankyou for all the advice you gave unfortunately we had to get rox put to sleep on Thursday night we are still very upset and we brought him home and buried him in the garden so he is always here with us

Denise x
Hello again Denise,

So sorry to hear your news ...

I am sure you did the right thing though, hard though that must have been ...

Kindest regards,

Scott