Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog had punch skin grafts on a place of mechanical stress

Customer Question

My dog had punch skin grafts on a place of mechanical stress (Elbow point) do you think this is the right course of action?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Where the grafts taken from the elbow, or grafted onto the elbow?
Why did these graft need to be done?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Taken from his shoulder, put on the point of his elbow over a ulcer that he scratched. He scratched the ulcer due to radial nerve damage following a TATE elbow replacement

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear what happened to him.
Did the skin grafts work?
It certainly is difficult to get anything to heal right over the elbow. I have had luck getting ulcers on the elbow to heal by covering and padding them and applying Dog Leggs:
http://www.dogleggs.com/files/Adjustable.cfm
It is hard to bandage elbows, but these have worked for me.
I would not expect skin grafts in this area to work well, unless they were covered and protected with something like the Dog Leggs.
I did a search on VIN, veterinary information network, and did find references to using full thickness skin grafts on the elbows, but not punch skin grafts.
Is this the information you are looking for? Is there anything else I can help with or research for you?
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.

Rebecca