Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Our dog has been found to have hip dysplacia. The x-rays have

Our dog has been found to have hip dysplacia. The x-rays have shown he has about 10% coverage in his left hip and have recommended a TPO. He is a newfoundland/german shepard cross and is 9 months old this month.
we are concerned about how this will affect him and the recovery. basically if this is the best option
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

WIth only 10% coverage in Bear's hip, it is likely that without surgical intervention now, this hip dysplasia will progress to severe arthritis within a few short years.

Dr. Drew :

a TPO is an excellent option,

Dr. Drew :

to try to improve Bear's ability to use the hip joints in a normal fashion.

Dr. Drew :

If you delay this procedure for much longer, it is less effective and arthritis may develop anyway

Dr. Drew :

so it is important to act fairly quickly if this is an option that you are considering.

Customer:

Thank you for your response. We have him booked in for the TPO next week but wanted to get a second opinion. We were concerned that maybe there was a an alternative way that may not be as extreme as TPO.

Customer:

If this is the best option for him in the long term we would be comforted in going through with it. Is there anything we shoukd know about the recovery for him

Dr. Drew :

Generally the prognosis is quite good,

Dr. Drew :

and with a few short weeks of restricted activity, gradually he will be allowed to return to a more normal routine,

Dr. Drew :

and likely a long comfortable life ahead.

Customer:

thank you. finally we would not be with him during the day for his recovery period, due to work. We will be there for the first 5 days afterwards though. is it best to keep him to a very small enviroment or would he need supervision

Dr. Drew :

crate confinement would be reasonable,

Dr. Drew :

but the surgeon may have some specific recommendations regarding physical therapy in the post-op period,

Dr. Drew :

which might necessitate someone being with Bear at least for a short period of time during the day.

Customer:

thank you