Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 3 legged rescue Bichon Frise who has been very ill

Customer Question

I have a 3 legged rescue Bichon Frise who has been very ill this year with Pancreatitus and liver disease. She is better now but her liver function is really bad again.The vet said that a count which should be between 10and 100 is just under 3 thousand.She also had a temperature. She is taking antibiotic nisamox 250mg 1/2 twice a day and Zentonil Plus 200 1/2 a tablet twice a day. She also has a hernia whereby some of her intestines are in her chest so feeding her has been difficult as she is very fussy. A friend gave me some Purina Veterinary diet dry Hypo allergenic which she has decided she likes. Are these ok to feed her with as I have been looking up the liver disease on line and some of the foods are not suitable for dogs who have had pancreatitus.Could you please advise if this ok for her or recommend something similar
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Hepatic diets will vary depending upon the severity and chronicity of the liver disease. Dogs suffering acute hepatopathy won't benefit from protein restriction unless hepatic encephalopathy (a poorly functioning liver intoxicating the brain) is present. With chronicity, dietary protein levels should be appropriate for a normal adult dog unless, once again, hepatic encephalopathy is present. In these dogs, soy protein may help to reduce the risk of hepatic encephalopathy.
I would direct your attention to feeding in a manner in which recurrent pancreatitis might be averted. A hypoallergenic diet such as you mentioned isn't likely to be one designed to prevent pancreatitis but might not be harmful. Frankly, I'm happy if you found any balanced diet that such a patient as she enjoys. You might find that a home-cooked recipe designed to provide adequate protein and moderately restricted fat will be even more attractive to Dolly. Here's a recipe for you:
chicken breast, without skin, cooked, 4 ounces
rice, white, long-grain, cooked, 2 cups
canola oil, 1 tbsp
salt substitute (potassium chloride), 1/2 tsp
bone meal powder, 1 3/4 tsp
salt, iodized (sodium chloride), 1/2 tsp
multivitamin & mineral tablet, kids complete, 1 each
zinc, 100mg tablet, 1/2 tablet
Prepared weight is ~457g
The total kcal as prepared = 726kcal, the daily requirement of a 12kg dog. You can refrigerate what isn't eaten for 3 days or freeze what isn't eaten indefinitely as long as you check for spoilage.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply and the recipe. I'm sorry it has taken me a while to reply but I have been away for a few days. Your recipe sounds good but where do I get Bonemeal powder etc and what sort of multi vitamins & zinc etc. She is such a worry but her pancreatitis is at bay at the moment and she does not have encephalopathy. She is such a lovely dog with a traumatic background having been found running the streets of Taunton with her leg hanging off. Hoping for an early reply

Barbara

You're quite welcome. Bonemeal powder is found in specialty markets and health food stores. A kid's vitamin & mineral supplement is appropriate. Zinc supplements are also found at your druggist and health food stores. I'm going to be away from my computer for most of the day but I promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's my pleasure, Barbara. It's the streets of Taunton's loss and your gain for all these years.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Please disregard the info request.
for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.