Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

i have 2 possibly 4 dogs who have eaten multiple mountain ash/

i have 2 possibly 4 dogs who have eaten multiple mountain ash/ rowan berries today and passed them in faeces, they seem fine, should i do anything to help or just monitor
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I have good news for you! Mountain ash berries are technically toxic to dogs and cats but the problem is in the seeds. The seeds have to be crushed before being swallowed to reach the cyanide like product in the seeds. Even if this happens it takes a lot of berries to cause significant toxic side effects, in almost every case mild vomiting or diarrhea is the only concern and should be short lived.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou for this. They majority of the berries seem to have come out whole too, but can you tell me how long the digestion period from to ingestion to excretion is so i can relax totally when all gone through, thanks

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Generally the digestive process can be as short as 12 hours and as long as 48 hours. If the berries are already coming out, we'd have likely already seen symptoms.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

perfect, thankyou, they have just finished an active flyball training session and running as speedily as usual, so fingers crossed all is good. Thank you very much, my mind will rest easy tonight .

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good luck to you all!
Dr. Dan