Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

my 2yr old westie has started to occasionally eat his own poo

Customer Question

my 2yr old westie has started to occasionally eat his own poo and is often sick after being fed Ihave changed his food from dried to meaty as he seems to eat this eagerly whereas before he was going all day not touching his food .I HAVE only had him a few months after rehoming him and apart from these few problems seems to have settled in well ,i hope you can shed some light on this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Copraphagy (eating stool) can be due to an illness, due to boredom, due to hunger, and due to a bad habit. It's important for us to determine if there is any medical cause, and then move on to calling this bad behavior and dealing with that.

Dr. Barbara :

Since you changed Ollie's food has he continued to vomit occasionally?

Customer:

yes ,..this is still aproblem.he is quite an active dog and i have noticed that after he has eaten he wants to play and at first i thought that was why he was being sick ,so I stopped playing with him but it makes no difference.

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response! There is obviously then a medical problem. We'll start with his eating habits. How many times a day do you feed him? Does he do this vomiting all of the time. . .after each meal? How soon after he eats?

Customer:

He gets fed three times a day but does,nt vomit every time ,sometimes twice, sometimesonly once and not every day.Usually its about 10-15mins after eating .Wheni first had him i only fed him twice daily but because he was being sick thats when i started to divide his portions into three meals thinking that it would be lighter on his stomach.

Dr. Barbara :

That would have been what I recommended next, but since he is still vomiting some, this is the direction we should go. . .find out why he is vomiting. When we find this and correct this, Ollie may no longer be coprophagic. Has Ollie had any diagnostics procedures or tests done there to determine why he is vomiting. . .any blood work or x rays of his esophagus and abdomen?

Customer:

No, he's not had any procedures or tests done, when I mentioned it to my vet, she suggested changing his food, which is what i did. However, he is due for a check-up shortly, so maybe this will be the next step.

Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
Hi Sheila,

Thank you for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!

I do agree that a check up for Ollie is in order. The diet change did not make a difference in his symptoms, so more diagnostics do need to be done to find out the cause of his vomiting. The resolution of this problem should take care of his copraphagy.

Best of luck to you and Ollie. I will check in with you in about 7 days to see how Ollie is doing. . .there's no more charge for this, so I hope that I do hear from you!

Dr. Barbara