Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

hi, I have a two year old female boxer () and some blood

Customer Question

hi, I have a two year old female boxer (bitch) and some blood has come out of her nose today
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sorry to hear about Georgie's nose bleed. Did she bleed from one side or both sides?

Customer:

just one side

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response! Is Georgie sneezing also? The most common cause of this one sided nasal bleeding is a nasal foreign body. . .like a grass awn. It is also possible that Georgie cut herself. Can you see any cuts at the end of her nose?

Customer:

no there are no cuts, she is sneezing but she always sneezes

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!

I do apologize for being absent yesterday.

Something is causing all of this sneezing in Georgie. It could be allergies only, and the irritation from the sneezing and allergic inflammation could have led to the bleeding. This is pretty unusual in dogs, but if you'd like to try Benadryl, the dose is 1mg/pound of body weight every 8 hours. This will seem like a high dose to you. . .but it is correct.

More likely, Georgie has a foreign body in her nose or a growth of some kind (cancerous or fungal). The best path for her would be to have a veterinary exam and then a sedative or anesthetic so that her nasal passage (on the bloody side) could be scoped to determine the cause of her bleeding.

I hope this makes sense to you. . .if not, please let me know.

Best of luck to you and Georgie,

Dr. Barbara