Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have a short haired german pointer approx 7 years of age.

We have a short haired german pointer approx 7 years of age. Weight around 31kg went into kennels for two weeks before was healthy, lost weight in kennels as usual but has developed a high thirst and has become incontinent. Urine smells strong. Otherwise has shiny coat no visible signs of stress. He was vacinated for his annual buster and kennel cough a week before going into kennels when vet gave him clean bill of health apart form weight which he said was a little heavy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
My fear for Jake is that he had been suffering from Diabetes but the stress of the kennel stay has brought this on so that e may need to be teated for this. Even though Jake had a dean bill of health prior to his stay, this can come on and this is the most likely problem. Take Jake to your vet right away to be tested for this along with other metabolic issues so this can be resolved. If this is Diabetes, Jake may now require insulin to stop the incontinence and excessive thirst.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will this require ongoing treatment and is this generally an expensive treatment or can this require only short term medication

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is treatment likely to be ongoing and expensive or will this be resolved by a short corse of medication?
HI Michelle.....If Jake does have Diabetes, there are ways to deal with this that are not expensive but your vet will tell you that. Mild cases can be handled with diet but others will require insulin injections that will require monitoring just like in humans....
Wait till you know what is causing this, Michelle, before you get too worried.
Thank you so much, Michelle, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Jake feels better soon!
Have a wonderful day!