Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Siberian husky is 4 yrs old and for last few days has been

My Siberian husky is 4 yrs old and for last few days has been off his food and has now started passing blood when pooing. The blood is quite bright. He had suffered from some extreme diarrhoea a few weeks ago but that passed after a few days. He has also been very lathargic over the past couple of days which is very unusual for him. I also have 2 other huskies, who are his brothers, they are both fine?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Skye is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is he on any medications?
5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1-4 No to all of them above. 5. And his gums seam to look normal too! He is normally not happy being poked and prodded but is very cooperative today!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Steve, when we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestine), he has colitis. There are many diffferent conditions that cause colitis. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands on examination by family vet, fecal analysis, blood work and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since your previous reply he has vomited. This consisted of mainly mucus, but was bright orange in colour. Their was very little of it, probably about a table spoons worth.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The bright orange color is bile, this is common with forceful vomiting. Continue to do what I described above. In addition, pick up in your local chemist Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet orally every 12 hours. Follow up with family veterinarian.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.