Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Earlier today my 4 year old ***** ***** female had a seizure.

Earlier today my 4 year old ***** ***** female had a seizure. She has no history of this. It lasted 3 minutes, and then she took another 5 minutes to really come round . She seems confused and agitated for about 1 hour following. I contacted emergency vet, who reassured me that I could just observe and take her to vet tomorrow for blood tests, and possible scan etc.
She had another fit about an hour ago lasting 2 minutes and roughly same recovery as the first.
We have also got a 6 month old Labrador, and they play quite roughly sometimes. I am concerned that she may have a head injury, however apart from the seizures she is not showing any sign of concussion, pain and her eyes seem normal.. In between the seizures she seems completely normal, wanting to play, eat and go on walks.
Please can you advise me if you think head injury is possible, and if we should now seek emergency consultation, or wait as planned and go tomorrow. Thank you very much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I'm sorry your pooch is frightening you. It is certainly possible that a head injury is the cause but it is quite unlikely. If a head injury is involved almost always dogs suffering from this do not recover normally from the seizure. Dogs with head injuries are generally depressed and almost unresponsive after their seizures. What does fit however is that dogs with epilepsy can have their seizures triggered by agitation or excitement so the addition of the puppy could be more the issue than a head injury. Understand I am not blaming the puppy, if I'm right the tendency for seizures was already in Rosie but the excitement of the new puppy is likely the trigger for the seizures not the cause. I do feel you can wait until Mon even if there are more seizures. The time to go to the emergency center is if she goes into a seizure and it lasts for longer than 5 min without stopping. Otherwise you can wait until Mon with minimal worry.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I just want to thank you very much for your quick response.

I feel a little reassured now, although must say that I think they were the longest 3 minutes of my life!

Cheers .

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good luck to you both!
Dr. Dan