Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 1 year old dog is constantly licking his testicles and he

Customer Question

My 1 year old dog is constantly licking his testicles and he has small lumps on them, they look like prickly heat rash, could this be something more serious??? They also look a bit swollen and they are sensitive to the touch.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me, how long has Zeke had this problem?

Customer:

I have been on holiday for two weeks and came home Thursday 11th September. My son and his wife were watiching Zeke and they told me they had noticied his licking. I think probably less than a week.

Scott Nimmo :

I doubt if this is very serious, it sounds like an eczema of the scrotum, this is not uncommon in dogs.

Customer:

Would this just happen after 1 year

Scott Nimmo :

You may well be able to resolve it on a home remedy basis by applying the likes of 0.5 % hydrocortisone cream twice a day for a five day period. I often prescribed that when clients brought such cases to the surgery. And you can buy it over the counter in the UK.

Scott Nimmo :

Eczema or dermatitis can affect any age of dog and start at any age I am afraid. ...

Scott Nimmo :

Of course if the hydrocortisone cream does not work or you become further concerned you should have your vet take a look but hopefully this will not be necessary. The antihistamine was a good idea but creams applied directly may well work better ...

Customer:

I just found it stange that this has developed when he was away from home.

Customer:

Can I use hydrocortisone cream I was prescribed for insect bites by my GP or does it have to be animal cream

Scott Nimmo :

This sort of thing can strike at any time ....

Scott Nimmo :

You can get the " human " form over the counter, there is no real animal form, the human sort works very well on dogs

Customer:

Ok thanks I have some cream here already, I will try that and if it doen't improve I will take Zeke to the Vet.

Customer:

Maybe the stress of being away from home hasn't helped, as eczeme can be agrivated by stress can't it?

Scott Nimmo :

Oh yes, that is possible, stress is an under rated cause of disease in dogs but I am sure it does happen ...

Customer:

I am just worried that if I have to take Zeke to my Vet they will immediatley want to castrate him, and I am not convinced that I want to do this to him.

Scott Nimmo :

Well castration should not be in the frame for eczema of the testicles, but he is your dog so at the end of the day it is your wishes that should be respected.

Customer:

My vet recommends castration for male dogs irrespective if they have a problem.

Scott Nimmo :

I never do, if the dog is well behaved there is no need, in fact my own dog Teddy is a perfect gentleman and he has never been castrated ...

Customer:

Zeke is also well behaved so I don't see the need, I understand my vet sees this as a preventative method.

Customer:

Thanks for your advice I will start the cream right away.

Customer:

Have a great day.

Scott Nimmo :

Same to you ... glad to have advised you ...

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Gaille,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Zeke's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Hello again Gaille,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Zeke is getting on with his eczema.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott