Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi there I noticed some blood in my dog's (Henry - Daschund)

Hi there
I noticed some blood in my dog's (Henry - Daschund) faeces this morning ( 9a.m.). This afternoon (2pm)he had another poo and there was some blood again but very little faecal content. He then kept stopping on out walk and looking as if he wanted to poo, a little more blood, a few drops, but nothing came out at all after that. He seems very well in himself and alert. His tummy/abdomen doesn't seem to be bothering him when I examined and prodded a bit.
Caroline.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Henry.
Red blood in the stool is known as hematochezia.
Hematochezia in Dogs
Common causes can include:
1. Straining to defecate due to constipation
2. Toxin exposure
3. Stress colitis (common when a dog is startled by loud noises, having strangers at the house, a change in routine)
4. Intestinal parasites (not necessarily worms, but the microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia)
5. A bleeding polyp or tumor in the colon (large intestine)
6. Dietary indiscretion (ate something you do not know about)
7. A foreign body that is trying to move through small or large intestinal tract.
8. Bleeding disorder including if rat/mouse bait has been recently ingested.
Considering it is repetitive , and now even just drops coming out with some straining, I would encourage the vet visit now.
You don't want to be stuck with Henry is a worse condition at far more cost, which can sometimes happen with delayed treatment.
I also get a little more protective about the visit sooner since Henry is a bit older.
Very sorry he is not feeling well. If you decide to wait:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly
Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy