Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

we collected nine week old puppy last Saturday 13/9 she wouldn't

we collected nine week old puppy last Saturday 13/9 she wouldn't eat food breeder gave me so he suggested putting small amount of puppy food with it. this done she ate twice today and seemed happy now she has been sick 3 times, has drank water and have tried her with dried food again with small amount of chicken stock but she wont eat it any advice
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Toffee's situation. How long ago did she last vomit? Has she drank since that? Is she acting pretty dumpy or still pretty bright and alert?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She last vomited 16.50 she has had a tiny amount of water and is sleepy

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information Robert. Can you help me with the time since her last vomit? I'm in the US and the time zone difference sometimes throws me off. It was how many hours ago? How long ago was the first vomit too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

first vomit 2 hours ago last half hour ago, she has just drank more water. she ate puppy food in jelly, small amount mixed with dried food

last night again for breakfast and again at lunch which was five and a half hours ago. last poo contained some undigested jelly. She has slept and played today quite normally until 2 hours ago. I have tried her with cooked chicken and rice, again on breeders advice on Saturday night which she ate but would not eat on sunday so tried the brought shop food. she has now got up and played a bit and done another poo but still semi solid.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for helping with all that good information Robert. Vomiting is a pretty open issue with a lot of potential causes. Given her eating of the new food / material there is a very strong suspicion that it was something her stomach wasn't ready to tolerate. New foods can definitely cause acute gastric upset and diarrhea. To go over the other possible causes, it could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body such as a sock, rock, stick, piece of plastic, etc. This seems unlikely at this time with her. It could be due to pancreatitis, also not a particularly likely issue. Given her age, intestinal parasitism, giardia or parvo do have to be brought up. If she continues to vomit, then these would become much more suspect here. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. At this time, I would recommend having her seen as soon as possible to determine what is going on and how best she can be treated.
If a veterinary visit isn't possible here today / tonight, I'd pull up food and water from her for 4 hours. This literally means nothing - no treats, no food, no sips of water, nothing. Be sure to close toilet lids, pick up other pets water bowls, and monitor if goes outside so nothing can be ate or drank out there. The goal here is to let the stomach rest. If anything is ate or drank during this time, it has a very good chance of upsetting the stomach more. After we get past this time frame of having nothing, then we can start to allow access to water making sure not too much is drank at once. If no vomiting occurs with this, then after one hour of having the water available, you can start to offer bland food. The bland foods that you can prepare at home pretty easily are boiled hamburger / skinless chicken breast and white rice mixtures.
The huge hurdle for her to get over is the vomiting. If this continues, if she gets very weak, if she has obvious abdominal pain, or is not starting to eat and drink after 24 hours - she absolutely needs a veterinary exam. She at that point hasn't responded to at home care and needs a physical exam and testing to see what further therapy is needed. I hope this helps!!