Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog had just been castrated and his wound is infected. Been

My dog had just been castrated and his wound is infected. Been back to the vets today and been given antibiotics. I have taken a photo of the wound and would like a second opinion and should he have been given antibiotics post operation as part of his after care??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Sure, I can look at a photo. A bit limited on what I can say from an image, but can review.
Your toolbar near where you type should have a paperclip icon, so you can attack an image.
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I'm messaging from my phone and there is no way to attach the image. Basically his wound is weeping and very swollen, he has been given Tramadol an antibiotics. He is very uncomfortable and not eating or drinking. My concern is that he should have been sent home with antibiotics to prevent an infection occurring.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Understood Gemma.
I can speak generally regarding this matter:
Normally, it should NOT be indicated to send home antibiotics. I very very rarely send home antibiotics. Not only for my neuters, but my spay surgeries as well.
I maintain very good sterile technique.
I used to give a antibiotic shot during the surgery, but even that is not really indicated or recommended by specialists
Unfortunately, infections can happen. Many times, they occur because a pet is licking/chewing the incision site or it gets dirty from running around outside.
Other times, there is no specific cause, but it is a unfortunate complication.
Very sorry to hear what happened.
I know you are upset about the infection, but I can honestly say that it isn't routine to dispense antibiotics for spay or neuter surgery.
Hope that info helps Gemma.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy