Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our Ten year old King Charles Cavalier Dog has arthritus in

Our Ten year old King Charles Cavalier Dog has arthritus in his rear legs and struggles to stand on times.
He appears in pain now on a regu;ar basis.
We took him to the local vets several weeks ago but the vet said its not too severe yet and prescribed no meds at that time.
can you advise on what medication I can get online to help his pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is he on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1.No pre exsiting medical conditions

2.about 11kg

3.as 1 above

4.cod liver oil caps one every other day

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Roger, I am sorry for repeating the same question.

In response to your question, of the over the counter pain killer medication the safest to use short term (1 week) would be buffered aspirin, you can buy this over the counter in any chemist. You can give him 325mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. A better option would be to request from your family veterinarian a medication called Rimadyl (carprofen), it is more effective and safer than aspirin long term. Unfortunately, rimadyl is not available online or over the counter, it is only dispensed through a veterinarian. In the meantime, you can also start him Glucosamine/chondroitin 150mg a day long term, you can buy this online or over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter