Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a Border Collie that I do sheepdog trialling with.

I have a Border Collie that I do sheepdog trialling with. When he is working he sometimes snaps at the grass especially if it is 6-9 inches long in fields with short grass he does not do it.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's one of the more unusual ones I've seen on the site. I'm going to conjecture that because these dogs are trained to be attuned to the most subtle of movement of the herd, long grass is going to move to the extent that short grass doesn't and his snapping at it is akin to his nipping at the heels of a moving herd.
I understand that this could be distracting when he's working and so it would be prudent to contact a trainer such as can be found here: http://www.herding-dog-training-border-collie-sheepdog-dvd.com/sheepdog-terminology/ to see if a known method of correction exists for such dogs.
Disclaimer: I'm not a herding trainer and so please consider recategorizing your question into the "Dog Training" category. There shouldn't be another charge for you to do so. Please contact***@******.*** for help in this regard.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.