Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My elderly neighbour has a 12 yr old greyhound who is extremely

My elderly neighbour has a 12 yr old greyhound who is extremely thin despite him feeding her more than recommended, I walk her once a day and feed her treats she is ravenous . He won't take her to vet as earlier this yr his daughter convinced vet to put his last dog to sleep while he was in hosp. It was totally unnecessary . Is there any condition u think she might have ? She has been wormed lately .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this girl's weight issue. Do you feel that she drinks and urinates a lot? Is she still very active? Is she absolutely getting plenty of nutrition from your neighbor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't noticed her drinking excessive , I am diabetic myself so did cross my mind . After much nagging he upped her food since a week and I have been feeding her some of my dogs food . Her weight loss has been over few months and it's only coz he has a broken arm at moment he is letting me walk her. She doesn't much leave my side has a wee run when we reach the beach . He is 89 and stubborn and if I force issue he won't let me back in , just wondering if had an idea what was wrong he might let me call his vet as they do house calls once a week
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
I can understand the being stubborn. Sometimes the being stubborn is also due to not wanting to possibly know what is going on as being in the dark for them seems better. Thank you for taking the time and consideration to help him and his dog out. At 12 years of age for a greyhound, that is definitely getting up there. You are correct in that I was questioning diabetes as that would be a potential issue for weight loss and a great appetite associated with excess drinking or urination. To screen for this simply, you could catch some urine and take that to the vet to have them screen for glucose in the urine. If it is there, you have your answer. If it isn't there, then time to move to something else. Could there be an underlying cancer that is robbing the body of nutrition? This has to be considered. Could it be liver or renal disease? Also possible but usually they have the appetite progressively deteriorate. With elderly owners, I have to bring up the nutrition as sometimes they may not be feeding as regularly at home as they may be forgetting things like this. I don't want you to offend this neighbor, please just let him know that you want to help him be with his dog for as long as possible. Your goal is to help his buddy out. If the vet can come to the house and check him out, that would be great as they could do a good physical evaluation and draw some blood for blood work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks I will try catch some urine tomorrow , I have some sticks I can use measure glucose , yes I think it is fear after losing ziggy. He was feeding her the lowest amount on the guideline. I noticed she quite breathless coming back today but I put it down to the heat , tis lovely here in wester Ross . Will keep mentioning the vet in the hope he says yes
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes in situations like this it is best to be mildly persistent. Being too aggressive will get a push back. Slightly mentioning the subject and working slowly may be better. Being quite breathless could be due to the heat and hopefully not do to something else. I'm glad the weather is that nice there! Hopefully the upcoming fall and winter will be just as nice!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience