Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog (***** *****/Dachshund cross - 10 years old) is off

Our dog (***** *****/Dachshund cross - 10 years old) is off his food, has vomited a few times and has experienced difficulty with normal evacuation. The product from either end seems to be covered with a moist jelly like substance. The first vomit was a fairly large unrecognisable blob (for want of a better word). Subsequent evacuations have been similar in type but in smaller quantities. He strains hard to produce anything from the rear end. This all seemed to follow a walk in some woods when he disappears from sight frequently. He is regularly wormed & flea treated & this has been done recently. This is now the third day since the first vomit and, apart from a couple of Schmacko treats, he has not eaten anything today). Is there anything we can give him or is it better to let his problem run its course? (We will, of course, take him to the vets if he takes a turn for the worse). Hope you can help.
John and Maggie.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. No pre existing medical conditions.

2. Slightly lethargic (he is not habitually so).

3. 7.5 kg.

4. No other symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
John, the jelly like substance in the stool is mucus; this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines), he has colitis. When the colon is inflamed it gives the sensation of having to go this is why he is straining. The vomting is a consequence of the inflammation. There are many possible causes for colitis in dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac 1/4 tablet every 12 hours; you can buy zantac (ranitidine) over the counter in any chemist.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your diagnosis. I will rate your service as excellent.

Best wishes from John.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the excellent rating John. Smile

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter