Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 11 year old Border Collie is active, has a good appetite

My 11 year old Border Collie is active, has a good appetite and shows no symptoms of illness but she does pass faces often covered with mucous. Is this a problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does she have diarrhea?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This has been happening for up to 3 weeks. No diarrhoea but soft formed stool. It happened also several years ago but can't remember the circumstances. She has some arthritis for which she is prescribed Metecam. Has not eaten anything untoward to my knowledge. Her diet for her lifetime has been raw veg(carrot, peas, sweet corn,broccoli) mixed with dry biscuit and cooked chicken.
No other symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jeffery, when we see mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). There are many possible causes; a very common cause especially if she is not showing any other symptoms are intestinal parasites. I would recommend you deworm her; this is what you can do:

1- Deworm her with Panacur (fenbendazole), give it once a day at label dose for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy this over the counter in some pet stores, online and vet's office.
2- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias for the intestinal tract that help with inflammation and regularity.
3- If she continues to have mucus in the stool after doing the above I would have her checked by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter