Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog has stared urinating in her sleep , she is a 3 year

my dog has stared urinating in her sleep , she is a 3 year old german shepherd and has been spayed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Basically there are two forms of incontinence in the dog. One is the incontinence of cystitis [ bladder infections ] where the dog knows what is going on but has to go anyway.The second form is urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch and judging from your question I am sure there is some degree of possibility that this is what your dog is suffering from. Since this form of incontinence would be a strong possibility I will tell you what I know about it.

Scott Nimmo :

1. It tends to affect large and giant breeds such as Dobermans, Rotweillers, GSDs, Labs etc. so your dog would be included ...

Scott Nimmo :

The dog is not aware she is doing it, you will see bed wetting, damp patches on the carpet where the dog has been lying, and urine will dribble out of the dog as she walks or is lying down.

Scott Nimmo :

The cause of this disease is relaxation of the urethral sphincter.

Scott Nimmo :

2. It is easily treatable via prescription drugs your vet can supply, one group of drugs used to treat this condition contain phenylpropanolamine, the one I use had the trade name Propalin, this is possibly your best option it is given orally. Other drugs which can be used are female hormones.

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have experienced urinary continence with another dog but this seems different , she only wets when lying down and it doesn't dribble more like a full 'wee'

Hello again Debbie,
Glad to talk this over with you further...
If she is not aware that she is doing it then urinary incontinence of the speyed bitch would certainly be very possible, there are varying degrees of this disease you see.
Before you consider any other diagnosis you would be wise to try a trial dose of propalin to observe the effect, and take it from there.
Regards,
Scott.