Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog is not eating

My dog is vomiting everything she eats completely undigested. She is drinking water. Went to the vet who did not think she had a blockage as no distension of the abdomen or gas/bloating. Her temperature was normal and heart rate slightly raised. That was two days ago. She was given an anti-emetic but she has just started to vomit the very small amount she ate today.

She is 6 years old and never been sick before.  She is a Belgian Shepherd Dog and normally very lively.  she will go for a walk but looks like an old dog walking slowly.

She hasn't produced any faeces for 36 hours and the last lot were 40% diahorrea and 60% solid brown in colour.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
You can have a blockage without distention of the abdomen and without gas and bloating, especially if the obstruction is in the stomach rather than the intestines. I would make sure that your vet has tested for pancreatitis, because that can cause profuse vomiting. But I would recommend a barium series to check for a blockage, because that sounds like the most likely cause of this. I would have your vet check a lipase level, and then run a barium series.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.