Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 2 year old pekingese was 58 days pregnant she was incontinent

My 2 year old pekingese was 58 days pregnant she was incontinent of urine.I took her to the vets and he did an emergency c section. The vet said she won't be able to feed her puppies it's been 2 weeks now she's finished taking Nisamox 50. I've noticed she has milk and is interested in the puppies.is it safe for the puppies to take her milk .not just because of the medication she was on .but with having the infection in her womb
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl needed an emergency c-section but glad to hear that she made it through and you have healthy puppies.
Nisamox is a potentiated penicillin antibiotic which contains Amoxicillin (as amoxicillin trihydrate) and Clavulanic acid (as Potassium clavulanate). It is considered a safe antibiotic to use with nursing bitches as it will not be harmful to the pups even if it passes to them through the milk. We often use it in nursing bitches with mastitis or other infections for that reason.
I suspect that your veterinarian didn't want your girl to nurse her pups not because it would be dangerous for them, but because nursing a litter would take too much out of her and interfere with her ability to heal and fight infection.
If her incision is healed and she is feeling well and producing milk I see no reason for her not to nurse her pups if she wants to. I would not expect her to produce enough milk to feed them alone, I suspect you will need to supplement with formula, but she can certainly nurse them if she'd like.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.