Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog is very thirsty and although relaxed has a warm nose

Customer Question

my dog is very thirsty and although relaxed has a warm nose and her breathing is in very quick short breaths
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Nose temperature can be misleading and so we don't place much stock in it. Breathing in very quick short breaths, however, can represent both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or pain. To confound the diagnosis further, in such a young dog it's also seen with fever, cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates) and brain disease. Polydipsia (increased thirst) suggests dehydration and in older dogs it can suggest more serious metabolic disorders such as urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus, and chronic renal or hepatic insufficiency.
As you can see, although Frankie's symptoms are important, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) for any one disorder and so if her behavior has continued since you posted, it would be prudent to have her vet take a look at her. A thorough physical exam should tell you why she's behaving so. Please respond with additional information - an update on her condition - and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Frankie, please?