Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is a 15 year old ***** ***** who as has breast cancer

My dog is a 15 year old ***** ***** who as has breast cancer about two years ago, yesterday she woke up with diarrhea which was white in colour to start with but now green/yellow, she has been sick once. She hasn't eaten or drank since and is sleeping a lot...any suggestions? Please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was the cancer treated?
2- Is she currently on any medications?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Did she get into anything?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. They removed the lump but didn't give any further treatment
2.she isn't currently on any medication
3. I'm not sure how much she weighs, she is a immature ***** ***** bread but probably slightly overweight
4. When she vomited there was some sort of string evident in the vomit
Her gums are pink but she isn't interested in drinking or eating and is sleeping lots, she is now shaking slightly....she has had a previous stay at the vets for dehydration.
She also has arthritis is her spine and lost the use of her back legs for approx two weeks around 3-4 years ago.
In the last few months she has developed an increased thirst
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- So in the last few months she has been drinking more than usual but now is not drinking, correct?
2- Is it fair to say she is lethargic?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes correct she has been drinking more than normal in the last few months but over the last two days she hasn't drank anything!
Her gums are a dark pink
She is lethargic yea
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jenny, the green/yellow color feces is because of the presence of bile; this is commonly seen when the intestines are over active with diarrhea.
The vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by primary problems affecting the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to something going on systemically. The fact that she was drinking more than usual and has a history of mammary gland tumors it is very likely this could be related to a systemic disease. You see, when dogs drink more than usual it is a sign of either: Hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), infections, kidney or liver disease and even cancer.
In this case, the best option is to have her checked today by a veterinarian for xrays (chest and abdomen) and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime for the diarrhea/vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter