Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I also have a staff dog he is called arnie and belongs to my

Customer Question

I also have a staff dog he is called arnie and belongs to my son he is 3 years old these past few weeks he has been suffering with itching and scabs are on his belly what cream can i give for him. Bruno is better thanks took him to the vets and was given metacam and has improved
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're likely to be describing a superficial spreading pyoderma - a bacterial skin infection - which is best addressed with a prescription systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing every few days in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution. These shampoos can be found over the counter or at Arnie's vet hospital.
Applying creams to these conditions is usually an exercise in futility. There are usually far too many spots to treat and our dogs end up licking off most of the cream in any event. Arnie's vet should be consulted. You can't find these antibiotics over the counter and the vet will also have the opportunity to discuss why the skin infection has arisen (lines of Staffies are recognized to have problems with skin infections and can require intensive treatment). An underlying allergic dermatitis or mange should also be considered.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.