Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 18 month old cocker spaniel had the alizin injection 28

Customer Question

My 18 month old cocker spaniel had the alizin injection 28 days after being caught, that was 16 days ago and she has bloody vaginal discharge and lumps in her abdomin. I'm worried either the injection has not worked of she has an infection in her womb
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I would expect a mild mucoid discharge and signs of pseudocyesis (false pregnancy) such as the lumps in her mammary tissue (?) following algepristone (Alizin) administration but a bloody vaginal discharge is alarming and should prompt a complete blood count looking for an elevation in the white blood cells indicative of metritis or early pyometra and an abdominal ultrasound to see if she were, indeed, pregnant and the current state of her uterus. We don't see fetal expulsion and these bitches remain remarkably unaffected in the great majority of cases.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a weekfor an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.