Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Can too much sedation lead too Kidney Failure?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Are you concerned that your dog had an overdose of medication?

Customer: My dog went to the vets for a scan under sedation on Friday morning. She was happy and very mobile. We picked her up on Friday evening, she was not well and collapsed outside of the vets. We quickly got her to the animal hospital who began blood tests etc unfortunately she has gone into kidney failure was very poorly and died.
Dr. Susan :

OK, it is possible that she already had kidney issues, and that the sedation pushed her over the edge. It is also possible that a combination of anesthesia and medications did this. A few more details about Friday would be helpful.

Dr. Susan :

What do you mean she had a "scan"?

Dr. Susan :

Do you know if they just sedated her, or if she was under total anesthesia?

Customer: It was an ultra sound
Customer: As far as we are aware they just sedated her. They gave us very little information when we went to collect her, but clearly she was not in the same condition as when we took her in.
Dr. Susan :

OK. What was the purpose of the ultrasound? Was she having an issue with something prior to Friday?

Customer: She was believed to have a urine infection. She had seen the vet the previous Monday because she was struggling to press urine. The gave her metacan, some antibiotics and some tablets to build the lining of the bladder. Within 24 hours she had started to wet herself and was dribbling. Therefor the ultra sound was given. We wearer informed that the ultra sound revelled noting serious or sinister.
Dr. Susan :

Was she drinking any more than usual?

Customer: No not really
Dr. Susan :

Do you know if they had a urine sample from her for testing on Monday or Friday>

Customer: I took a urine sample in following Mondays consultation. They said that there were blood traces, no signs of chris talks and the ph would not suggest ant stones or anything like that.
Dr. Susan :

Did they tell you how concentrated it was?

Customer: Sorry no signs of crystals
Customer: No they did not, they have been very vaugue and only really interested in the fact that our dog was insured. I expressed my displeasure with their slow and non urgent approach.
Dr. Susan :

I understand.

Dr. Susan :

I think it would be best if we could get some more information from her medical record.

Dr. Susan :

I would really like to see the results of any testing including the urine, and previous blood tests, and the ultrasound.

Dr. Susan :

I would also like to see information regarding any medications used for sedation and the doses they gave her.

Dr. Susan :

I would ask the vet for a copy of her medical record. Just as with humans, it is your personal property and they must release it to you.

Customer: When we took her to the emergency animal hospital following on from her collapsing outside of our vets. Her record had been sent there. The vet at the hospital was disappointed at the lack of information available and so immediately took some blood tests. The record did not state how much they gave her or if she was given a top up or not. This was discussed at the animal hospital.
Dr. Susan :

I see. Well, unfortunately, with a lack of information, I don't think we can say with certainty if they caused the problem or if they simply ignored that she was deteriorating in their care.

Customer: I will ask for a copy of her personal medical record then.
Dr. Susan :

I do think, though, that this would be something appropriate to bring up to the board of veterinary medicine in your state.

Dr. Susan :

At the very least, they have shown a lack of appropriate record keeping.

Dr. Susan :

At worst, they may have been negligent in your girl's care.

Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** what I though because when she collapsed outside of the vets following her discharge, they came out looked at her and just said we would suggest you take her to the animal hospital. They left us with her immobile on the street.
Dr. Susan :

Yes, that doesn't sound like a normal response...

Customer: Thank you for your support, I was disappointed and I will now ask for her medical record and consider what to do next.
Dr. Susan :

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that you can find some comfort in the good memories you have of her.

Dr. Susan :

It's never easy to lose a pet, but it's even more difficult to lose her at such a young age.

Customer: Thank you. I just need some answers she was a health and mobile dog when we took her in for the scan and yet died less than 24 hours later.
Dr. Susan :

I totally understand. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: Thank you for your assistance, good bye. I have been happy with you honesty and support. I will now ask for her medical record. Will I have to wait for her record or can they just print it out and give it to me?
Dr. Susan :

It will depend on the hospital policy. Some may just print it out on the spot, but others may require approval through a vet, manager, or even the owner of the hospital.

Customer: Ok thank you for all your help. God bless Dr. Susan. Thank you.
Dr. Susan :

I'm glad I could be here with you tonight. You're welcome. I hope you find peace.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics