Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

two days ago my 6 year old previously very healthy dog starting

Customer Question

two days ago my 6 year old previously very healthy dog starting having weakness in her back legs and vomited a bit. yesterday she was lethargic but eating normally. today, she is very lethargic, not eating or drinking and unsteady on her feet. she also has a discharge from her eyes. If found two ticks on her at the beginning of all of this which I removed. Could she have Lyme disease? what else could be wrong with her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Doly.
My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Lyme disease usually causes fever, joint pain, lethargy. There are other tick borne diseases as well.
Can you take her temperature? Most dogs with Lyme disease or other tick disease have a fever.
If there is a chance this is a tick disease, she should see a vet to get antibiotics such as doxycycline as soon as possible.
Weakness in the back legs can indicate a problem in the spinal cord. That could be from Lyme disease, or from an inflamed intervertebral disc.
Not eating and drinking can lead to dehydration, which can make whatever is wrong with her even worse. Until you can get her to your veterinarian, I would try to encourage her to drink broth or water.
Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help. By now, Doly has managed to eat and drink and bark at the neighbours although she is still rather floppy. I'll take your advice though and get her to the vet tomorrow.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
That sounds best. It is good news that she is eating and drinking, however.

My own dog did this about a week ago: weak, lethargic, fever, not eating. I did start her on antibiotics, but she turned around over night and is back to normal now! All the blood tests were normal, so no idea what was wrong. I hope Doly is better soon as well.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she just had her breakfast but is very sore and sorry for herself and can't jump into the car as she usually does. I'm just about to call the vet and then we'll see.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I hope she is better soon. It is a good sign she ate.

She sounds painful and maybe some pain medication will help.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Jan,
How is Dolo doing?

Rebecca