Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cocker spaniels face has swollen very quickly around her

My cocker spaniels face has swollen very quickly around her mouth and above one eye, what would cause this and what should i do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I am quite worried that she is experiencing an acute allergic reaction which can start with lip, eye or other facial swelling. Alternatively, this could be a bite/sting which can lead to the same reaction. This type of allergy can come from ingestion of an item she is reacting to (common when a dog runs outdoors unmonitored for a few minutes), or as I previously mentioned a bite/sting. At home, if she was my patient, I would recommend give diphenhydramine which is available as a 25mg tablet/capsule at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. You should see improvement within 1 hour. If there was no improvement and/or the swelling was worsening then she will need to be seen on emergency for injectable therapy to resolve this.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.