Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my dog has pink skin and won't stop licking

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

I am so sorry to hear about the troubles Samiie is having. Where exactly is his skin pink and irritated? How long has he had this issue? Is it a life-long issue or new?

Dr. Joey :

First with any skin issue I need to confirm he is on effective monthly flea control. This is easy enough to treat and control. If he is having irritation along his upper back, around his tail base, neck or back of his thighs, then I would suspect this to be an allergy to fleas until we prove it something else. And then treatment with an effective flea medication is a first step.

Dr. Joey :

If you feel this is not fleas and he has irritation in none of those areas, then this could be due to another problem such as allergies (food allergy or environmental allergy which is called atopic dermatitis) or sometimes we have endocrine issues at his age such as hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) or Cushing's syndrome (overactive adrenal gland) that lead to recurrent skin infections; the infections (bacterial, yeast, ringworm, mites) need to be treated but I would also need to do lab work to rule out an underlying endocrine disease that could be contributing to this problem, whether it be recurrent or new.

Dr. Joey :

What could you try at home until you have have a consult with your vet and Samiie can have an examination? If this was my patient I might recommend you try:

1) Give an antihistamine such as (choose one): diphenhydramine 25mg at 1 mg per 10 pounds every 12 hours

2)Bathe in a good antibacterial shampoo such as one with the active ingredient of chlorhexidine (available as a veterinary shampoo) or selenium sulfide (available as a people dandruff shampoo) every 7 days. When you bathe, lather and let stand in contact with skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly

3)Start on a fish oil supplement (this is anti-inflammatory over about 4-6 weeks)

Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you i will try the fish diet

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Food allergy is always a great way to try to explore this. Remember with a food trial to consult with your vet and you must feed a hypoallergenic diet for 8 weeks. However, if you are just trying the fish oil remember this takes 4-6 weeks to reduce itching. In the meantime you may need to consult with your vet about medications to treat any active infections, and anti-itch medication. Or you can always try an antihistamine.
Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!
Kindly submit a rating as you exit.