Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi My 11 month old Yorkie Russell's anul gland ruptured yesterday

Customer Question

My 11 month old Yorkie Russell's anul gland ruptured yesterday I took her straight to the vet who cleaned the wound and gave her an antibiotic jab and a pain relief jab then sent me home with a course of antibiotics and pain relief for her which I have to syringe into her food or mouth once per day. She doesn't seen too bothered about it and is able to go the loo fine she's due to go back on Friday for a check up but I was wondering if I was able to bathe the wound for her as it's leaking fluid. She's also being treated for a phantom pregnancy which I have medication for are the 2 connected ??
Thankyou
Deborah
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Deborah,

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Betty.

Rebecca :

My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

You can bathe the wound with mild soap and warm water. Applying a warm compress may also help to clean the wound and to help the infection drain.

Rebecca :

Leaking fluid is OK; that is the infection draining out.

Rebecca :

What is the medication you are using for phantom pregnancy? It is probably not the cause of the anal gland problem, whatever it is.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing! I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you are in the live chat and can see what I am saying.

Customer: Hi
Rebecca :

Hello!

Rebecca :

Can you see what I wrote?

Customer: Hi
Rebecca :

Hi again! Can you see what I have been writing?

Customer: yes sorry my iPad turned itself off the medication she is on for her phantom pregnancy is gala stop
Rebecca :

Let me look that up.

Rebecca :

One moment.

Customer: She is now also on clavaseptin & metacam
Rebecca :

The Galastop is unlikely to cause an anal gland infection.

Rebecca :

Clavaseptin and Metacam are both good treatments for an infected ruptured anal gland.

Rebecca :

Daily warm moist compresses may also help.

Customer: Thankyou I think I'm more bothered about than she is to be honest
Rebecca :

These can take awhile to heal.

Rebecca :

If she is eating and drinking, she should be fine.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else you are worried about?

Customer: Thankyou again I will stop worrying
Rebecca :

You are welcome.

Rebecca :

I will be checking back, to see how she is doing.

Rebecca :

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Customer: Thankyou very much have a good day
Rebecca :

You are welcome.

Customer: thankyou and have a good day
Rebecca :

The way to close the chat, and to let me know you are finished, is to rate my answer!

Rebecca :

Then I can go help other customers.

Customer: thankyou and have a good day
Rebecca :

Otherwise, I am here to help you.

Rebecca :

You are welcome! But to close the chat, please rate my answer!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating!

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the bonus!

Rebecca