Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi, my 18 month ol staffie cross is limping sometimes, its

Hi, my 18 month ol staffie cross is limping sometimes, its her back left leg (as u face her). My partner takes her and our other dog to the field and she is running around and doesn't show any signs of the limping. She struggles with the stairs and getting onto the bed or sofa. She doesnt like the vets but I am worried about her. Jacqui
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
What you are describing is very typical of joint pain or joint instability. In a dog of this age and breed there are two very likely possibilities. She could have hip dysplasia or a torn ACL ligament in her knee. These injuries will often result in normal activity when running and then be sore after she cools down. Joint pain also shows up with avoiding stairs and significant jumping. I know she doesn't like the vet, most dogs don't but she might need longer term joint health care or even surgery if she tore her ACL. She really needs to see the vet to find out what the exact problem is, how long it will take to heal and if she needs medications and or surgery.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Dan,

thank you for your answer, Luna was ok before I eent away for a few days, so I know its recent. I will get her booked in at the vets.

Jacqui

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good luck to you both!
Dr. Dan