Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have an ex-breeding (puppy farm) rescue dog. We have had

Customer Question

We have an ex-breeding (puppy farm) rescue dog. We have had her for just over a year. When we got her she was really nervous, stayed in bed for two days and snapped at our other dog every time he or we went near her. Anyway, over time we have managed to sort that problem out, and all the other problems as well!!! Now we have another problem:- We managed to get her walking in town on a lead and though she was a little nervous she would do it. She then got spooked by the bin men and their lorry (which was stationary and emptying a bin), so every time she sees the bin lorry she panics, now because tractors and other lorries are noisy, she panics at those as well. This morning she didn't want to go for a walk and was visibly shaking. I had to carry her until we got far enough from any traffic before she would calm down. She is already on 2 zylkene tabs a day, adaptil spray (on my jeans!!) and adaptil diffusers in the house. She is approx. 4 years old and weighs approx. 8kg. My other dog is a 8yr ***** *****, confident in traffic. Any suggestions????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry that it has taken so long for you to get an answer and I am sorry that Amber is having so many difficulties. It appears to me that she will require much stronger medications such as Prozac along with either Xanax or Lorazapam. I say this because the products you are using are natural products and not strong enough to get Amber into a training regimen so she can be desensitized to these fears. In order to desensitize Amber, you will have to subject her to her fears over and over until he understands that these will not hurt her. This will take tme and patience on your part and I believe, since you love her so much, that you will do this. The only way to start this is to use these educations...ask your vet about this so they can prescribe these for you.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, thank you for that, I guessed that it would be a case of de-sensitizing her, by making her face her fears. I will definitely go and see our vet and see what she says about stronger drugs for her. It is so sad to see her so scared and panicking so much.

Good for you! In minor cases, the natural products will work but in Amber's case, she will need something much stronger...it really does work. I know how sad it can be to see this sweet girl so frightened about so many things.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Amber can feel less stressed soon!
Have a wonderful day!