Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Our spaniel was spayed yesterday. All looks good. Can you settle

Our spaniel was spayed yesterday. All looks good. Can you settle a difference of opinion please? The mother-in-law decided to put so some vaseline on the shaved area, (not on the wound itself), but my strong feeling is that firstly if that was required the veterinary practice would have informed me, and secondly I am worried that the vaseline will mm merely get stuff sticking to it. I would really appreciate your input please as I may be unduly concerned! Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards. Michael (Shillingford)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I hope Holly is healing well. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Vaseline is petroleum jelly, and has no healing, antibacterial, or anti inflammatory properties, so I am not sure it will help anything.
It should not do any harm. I usually tell people just to watch the site for redness and swelling. Applying a small amount of Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment to the actual wound would be alright, especially if any redness is seen.
She may just lick off the Vaseline, and this could possibly give her diarrhea. I would not recommend continuing to use it on her.
Let me know if this helps your difference of opinion, or if you have any other questions.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Michael,
How is Holly doing?
Rebecca