Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a German Shepard who a now 11yrs old. Just over 12 months

I have a German Shepard who a now 11yrs old. Just over 12 months ago we had to put her in kennels for about 3-4 months because had no where to live to take her, since I have taken her out and into our new home she has developed crusty flaky skin witch she bites to the point she pulls her fur out or even makes her skin bald. I took her to the vets and had a months supply of allergy tablets witch calmed the skin down but didn't solve the problem the medication also caused her to have a reaction witch made her joints stiff and scream in pain and would fall over, the vet said this wasn't due to medication but soon as take her off she has not suffered. The flaky skin is back and pulling her fur out again, I have used bepantham witch helps sooth the skin but then she moves to another part of her body. Any advice on what I could do or use please, thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the medication she was on?
2- How often are you bathing her?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1- cephacare flavour tabs 500mg and precnidale tabs 5mg
2- usually once a month but with his I've been doing it every couple of days with salty water
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
How long was he on Cephacare?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She was on it for 2weeks then a further 6 weeks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, the flaky skin you are describing is consistent with a bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma). If she did not do well on the Cephacare it is possible the underlying bacteria (s) could be resistant to Cephacare. Or, there could be another underlying cause predisposing her to the skin infection. Possible inciting causes are: Hormonal disorders like hypothyroidism, allergies (food or environmental), mites, etc. This is what I would recommend:

1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what she normally has had in the past. For example: If she seldom ate fish then put her on a food that has fish like Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet she should not eat anything else or she will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50mg every 12 hours. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- If your vet has not done blood work, discuss with your vet about doing blood work to rule out things like hypothyroidism.

5- Discuss with your vet about doing a culture & sensitivity (C&S) of the skin. This test will isolate the underlying bacteria (s) and provide a report with a list of antibiotics that can be used against the infection. Pending the lab results start her on another antibiotic like Clavamox.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter