Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Max, my daughters dog has a heart problem, he has 2 Vetmedin

Max, my daughters dog has a heart problem, he has 2 Vetmedin each day but they are so expensive, is there an alternative, cheaper over the counter. the dog is 9 years old?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This is not available as a generic and definitely not over-the-counter. There is no alternative to pimobendan. It is a wonderful drug but owned by its one company. It is expensive and this is a bummer. It has a different effect on the heart than any other available drug.

You may be able to ask your vet if using a different category of medication for right now, such as benazepril, might be a valid option. It is significantly less expensive and can often help in the early phases of heart issues. However, our decision on type of drug that is used is often based on an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.