Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Hi my 3 year old pug has just came into heat the past couple

Hi my 3 year old pug has just came into heat the past couple of days but her vulva has not swollen up this happened last season also, does this mean I won't be able to line her? We tried last time but I think we left it to late, this time iv bought an ovulating test to get timing right. Please can you advise thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
Although common signs of ovulation do include active bleeding, enlarged vulva and mammary glands, being "open" to a male not all dogs follow these guidelines so I wouldn't be disheartened by the fact she has not had vulvar enlargement.
In an ideal world would be to be checking her progesterone levels and vaginal swabs every few days to ensure you catch her in full estrus but my hope is that the ovulating test will suffice in this situation.
I would be very diligent with a male, she will tell you if she is not in full heat and will not accept him along with the ovulation test but if this is not successful for this heat cycle I would encourage you to have your vet involved in the next attempt (or a veterinary theriogenologist, a breeding specialist), because she might be more of a challenge than the average bitch to get pregnant. Sometimes Pugs can be difficult to conceive due to their body type but don't give up!
I hope this information is helpful but please don't hesitate to contact me with additional questions or if I can clarify anything else for you today.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!