Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

i have a six y/o/ large springer spaniel , he is limping on

Customer Question

i have a six y/o/ large springer spaniel , he is limping on back right leg , sometimes worse than others. There is no sign of swelling or heat, or bites . i am trying to rest it but this is easier said than done as we live in the ountry and with his acute hearing and smell he is off up the garden every couples of minutes , weight bearing then limping back. is there any treatment medicine NSAID? which might help .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It may be that George has only sprained something in his leg since there is no sign of swelling or he has arthritis in his hips that is causing this. The best thing to do for now, is to give George aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store. These will decrease the inflammation causing Georges pain and add lubrication to his joints. It is best to keep him as quiet as possible although I know this is difficult.
If this comes and goes, your vet should X-rays this area to know for sure. Aspirin is the only safe over the counter NSAID for dogs.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****