Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My miniature schnauzer has had loose dark stools today. I gave

My miniature schnauzer has had loose dark stools today. I gave her a piece of chicken at 6pm and she has just vomited it back. All clear and watery and then gone outside to pass another really loose stool. She is not herself. A little under the weather. What shall I do? Best wishes. Wendy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello Wendy, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Lottie isn't feeling well. I do have a few questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me the color of her gums?
2. Can you take her temperature?
3. Are the stools just a little browner in color or are they closer to being black?
4. I'm assuming she's somewhat lethargic, correct?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her gums are light brown
I don't have a thermometer for her I'm afraid
Her stools are dark brown but no not black
She is lethargic but still following us around if we move rooms
Wendy
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Wendy:
Thanks for the additional information.
Gum color is usually pale pink but if there's pigment present, it may be difficult to tell the color for sure. More than likely this is normal for her.

I understand about taking her temperature although if you manage to get your hands on a thermometer, it might be helpful to know whether or not she's running a fever. Normal is between 100 and 102.5.

And, that's even better that her stools aren't black which usually means dried blood and would potentially be a more serious symptom.

Gastrointestinal issues of this sort can be secondary to a long list of possible causes ranging from dietary indiscretion to viral/bacterial diseases to pancreatitis (very common in this breed) to inflammatory bowel disease...to name a few possibilities.

As long as she's not so lethargic that she barely moves and as long as the stools don't contain a profuse amount of blood, then you may be able to treat her symptomatically at home:

1. I'd give her over the counter Famotidine at a dose of 1/4th mg/lb twice a day although this drug may be difficult to find in the UK. Another option would be Omeprazole at a dose of 1/2 mg/lb once a day.

2. Withold water for 8-12 hours; just give everything a chance to settle down. Then you could offer her a small amount of water or pedialyte (which will replace electrolytes) but only a small amount at one time.

3. Withold food for 12-24 hours. Then if she's not vomiting, offer a small amount of a bland diet such as boiled chicken and 20-minute white rice.

4. If the vomiting is controlled but the loose stools persist, then Pepto Bismol can be given as long as she's currently taking any anti-inflammatory or steroid medication.The dose would be 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day.

This drug can discolor the feces to a gray-black or greenish color though so this shouldn't concern you if it happens.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

5. Probiotics such as Forti Flora can also be given if the stools are loose.

However, if she continues to vomit and/or doesn't seem interested in eating and/or her stools remain loose, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Wendy:
I just wanted to thank you for the rating and bonus; they're greatly appreciated.

I'd like to check back in with you tomorrow just to see how Lottie is doing.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck with her. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you do much. I just needed a little reassurance. I'll keep eye on her overnight and a trip to vets tomorrow if no better.
Thanks again. Wendy
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Wendy:
My pleasure.

I agree that if there's not significant improvement by tomorrow, that vet visit would be a good idea. I always worry about pancretitis when gastrointestinal signs are present in Schnauzers and you wouldn't want to wait too long to have her treated if this might be the problem.

I'll look forward to an chatting with you tomorrow about her. Deb