Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cavalier is 2&half,he has eaten cotton off a cotton reel

Customer Question

My cavalier is 2&half,he has eaten cotton off a cotton reel not sure how much,some was hanging out if his mouth,I pulled it SLOWLY & some kept coming but then it broke he was then sick a couple of minutes later but no cotton in it. He's breathing fine & is a sleep,doesn't seem disturbed by it. Will it pass through please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

There is really nothing you can do in this sort of situation other than just observing your dog ...

Scott Nimmo :

The chances are he will get away with this, the cotton may just pass through his alimentary tract and the stomach acids may well digest or degrade the cotton as well

Scott Nimmo :

However there are no guarantees and very occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to dogs swallowing such objects as string or ribbon and this caused intestinal impaction and other intestinal disease. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course have your friend consult a vet without delay if you do see such symptoms.

Scott Nimmo :

With thin cotton the chances are he will get away with this though

Scott Nimmo :

Typo -- " your friend " should read you should consult a vet without delay. Sorry ...

JACUSTOMER-v8fbtqib- : Thank you,if I kept pulling it SLOWLY of course!....but then it broke would that mean it was tangled or just that so much of it was already going in to his stomache? If so can it tangle anywhere? It wasn't a full reel to start with. He still seems fine in himself & is asleep unlike ME at this time!
Scott Nimmo :

I guess this means it was already in his stomach, it is encouraging that he is asleep at the moment but all you can do is to keep a good eye on him and wait it out ...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I go to bed & check him in few hours....how quick will he go down?
Hello again,

As long as he is peacefully sleeping at the moment then you would have no immediate worries. In the past where symptoms have occurred following such incidents they did not start for around 24 to 48 hours in my experience.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Scott for replying again! They are like my children (naughty sometimes!) I have a 4year old cocker spaniel too. Alfie the cavalier I have just woke to check him before I go up to bed & he gave a couple of little coughs,will they be just from his throat irritated do you think?
No problem, glad to have advised you ...

My dog is just the same ... The little cough does not sound too serious but keep a good eye on him ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay I will do! Thanks again,cross your fingers for me.
There little buggers.
Regards Sarah.
Fingers crossed !
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did rate your service (good service) after your reply that said 'I guess that means it is already in his stomach etc? I also tried to rate you again as 'excellent'! your cross fingers but it wouldn't let me & said I would have to pay again! Sorry.
Hello again,
No need to rate me again otherwise you will pay twice!
We can still chat though, how is he doing?
Regards,
Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks I got about 10 emails saying I needed to rate you?
He is still himself thanks,hasn't been sick anymore through the night & has eaten his breakfast. He also hasn't made anymore little coughing noises. Will keep my eye in him.
Thanks again Scott.
Regards Sarah
Hello again Sarah,
Must be some bug, sorry about that, no need to rate me again ...
Thanks for the update, sounds as if he is doing OK, but keep an eye on him.
Regards,
Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Excellent service anyway! Thank you. I slept better!
Are you not sleeping?!
I'll keep a close eye on him.
Sarah
I am not in the same time zone as you, it is only 6:00 PM here ...
{ Mindanao , South China Sea } :-)