Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Hello! I own almost 14 months english bulldog. He have problem

Hello! I own almost 14 months english bulldog. He have problem digest his kibble, he cant digest even after 8 hours morning feeding. Sometimes when he runs in park afternoon, he pukes undigest kibbĺe..Also the kibble is swell up and its just seats in his stomach.. He acting normaly after if he pukes.. Sometime I do cook for him chic***** *****vers, chicken or I mix it the kibble with wet food, but I never see any undigest meat just the kibble..I feed him twice in the day with Canagan grain free Salmon. He is very fast eater.. I dont understand why he cant digest dry food? My wet told me maybe I need to feed him just with wet food. I thinking to try raw diet.. Please can you give me some advice?
Many thanks in advance
Barbara
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

How often is he vomiting? Has he been on the same dry food his whole life, and has this been a problem his whole life or just recently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Many thanks for your respond.. He vomits in the park if he runs, its not hapend every time, maybe 3 to 4 times in the week, also when he get very exited, with a another dog.. He never vomits after his meal or if we just walk in the park and I do feed him after his afternoon walk, before his morning meal, I just taking him to the garden. Sometime he vomits midle of the night but its not hapend very often and also whole kibble.. He was fed with Royal Cannin junior, from the breeder, I did change for Lilly's Kitchen Puppy and now he is on Canagan Salmon.. I just find it very strange he can't digest the kibble after so many hours of feeding(maybe its because he doesn't chew the kibble)? Also Im very scaret his stomach and get twisted... Please what do you think about all of this? Maybe the Raw food diet will help him..
Sorry about my spelling..
Barbara
You can try a soft food, but I suspect we are dealing with a food allergy or irritable bowel syndrome. I would try a hypoallergenic prescription diet from your vet for 6 weeks and do not give any other foods during that time (no flavored treats or heartworm preventative). If after 6 weeks he is doing better, he likely has a food allergy and you can continue that food. If that does not work, then I would talk to your vet about doing some testing for the possibility of irritable bowel syndrome. In the short term, I would recommend giving your dog Prilosec 20mg once daily or Pepcid AC 10mg once daily and see if that helps.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.