Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi my 13 month male puppy has been gagging on and off through

Customer Question

Hi my 13 month male puppy has been gagging on and off through the day, he has been seeking my company (when somethings not right with him he comes to me) I've checked his mucus membranes and they are pink, his ears are hot, he was quite fatigued this morning but still greeted the postman with bark. He gags after barking. He is due his booster jabs on the 9 th october and his treated with advocate every 4-8 weeks and due worming tablet in october. He may be fatigued due to missing his dad, who's away for the weekend. At present his is snoozing on me. I'm concerned it maybe kennel cough, even though he hasn't been to a kennel. He has however been shopping with me at vange hauge, round the gardening and pet section, he drang out of a communal drinking bowl. Should i be taking him to the vets or do you think his just a bit run down.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any nasal discharge? If so, can you describe the appearance?
2- Is he eating and drinking?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- When he gags is it like if something were stuck in his throat?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no nasal discharge, although earlier today he did have a wetter tan normal nose, dry at the moment.

he has eaten today, but not the full amount, drinking water, had some goats milk earlier on,

I've been giving himwater on and off through the night as he often goes to bed parched, .ive had a good look in his throat and cant see anything i was able to see quite far as i touched his tounge

he weights between 19 and 20 kg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Emma, what you are describing is consisent with Kennel Cough as you have suspected. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. Often we need to start them on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging. Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, ***** ***** to be narotic. Have a good evening

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Emma.

Good night.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been giving him the Robitussin dm, when he lets me, and a tsp of manuka honey, coconut oil, lemon juice and honey water, only small amounts. He has stopped coughing, but seems quite tired at times and extremely excitable, hareing around the house. He has had a little wonder late evening as he doesn't like using the garden, its quite small. Is it to be expected ? His throat is no longer red, nice pale pink. Should i now consider getting him the kennel cough kab?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hello Emma, no need to start him on kennel cough tab, he will be fine. It sounds like he is recovering.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for putting my mind at rest. Have a good evening.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome.