Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I am looking after a male 14 year old Yorkshire terrier. Every

I am looking after a male 14 year old Yorkshire terrier. Every hour day and night he is going through a cycle of drinking massive amounts of water then urinating sleeping for half an hour then going through the cycle again. He has spent the past two weeks at the vet having blood and urine tests to determine if he has an infection but the results have all come back negative.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

So, the blood work was all normal and the urinalysis was normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes all normal

Okay. The next step would be to have your vet do a water deprivation test checking the specific gravity of the urine while not allowing any water consumption. That requires keeping the dog for the day. It can help diagnose a condition called diabetes insipidus, which does not show on blood work. It causes the kidneys to be unable to concentrate urine. I would also check a urine cortisol/creatinine ratio to check for possible Cushing's disease. Those would be the two next steps in the process of finding out why this dog is drinking so much and urinating so much, and they are relatively cheap and non-invasive steps.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.