Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, we have an 18 year old cross Terrier/Rottweiler...she's

Customer Question

Hi, we have an 18 year old cross Terrier/Rottweiler...she's a miniature Rotti..
She's eating less and less but drinking lots of water, she gulps and gulps
We try to tempt her with her favourite titbits but it's very hit and miss if she'll take them
She seems happy enough, sleeps most of the day and just wants her daddy. She doesn't become anxious while he's at work as she's asleep, so this isn't a concern
I'm concerned we're not helping her. Are we making her suffer? Some days she's looks old and tired and then others she's quite puppy-ish
I would be so grateful for your advise. Many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Is she curently on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's been drinking a lot more for the last month or so. We've given her some small pieces of cooked chicken this eve and she has vomited. She then drinks and drinks, we have to stop her because this can make her sick
She's not on any meds
Other than old age stiffness in her joints. No pre exist issues
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Wendy, as you may already know her appetite being off is directly related to not feeling well. The big question is: Why is she drinking more than usual? You see, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime for the vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Peter
Unfortunately Muskie is no longer with us.
We took her to the vets, bloods were done, which showed her kidneys had failed
We were advised we needed to make 'that decision', which we did on Sunday 5 October...my husbands birthday. Not a day for celebrations unfortunately
We're hurting and very sad. But with time the memories will be sweeter than the pain can never be
Kind regards ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dear Wendy, I am so sorry to learn that Muskie is no longer with you. I can imagine how difficult this must be for you and your family, especially on your husband's birthday. Being in kidney failure at 18 years old prognosis is always very poor prognosis. Making that difficult decision was very honarable in your part, God bless you. I will have you in my thoughts and prayer tonight. I am really sorry.

Dr. Peter