Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Hello my whippet had a scratch on his neck. It seemed fine

Hello my whippet had a scratch on his neck. It seemed fine after being with the dog walker. It was dry and seemed fine. Some friends looked after him while we were away this weekend but when we came he has been out of sorts. Shivering slightly, he won't settle, and stands and looks at his back leg. I don't know what to do :(
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Barney is showing these signs

Dr. Altman :

Is the scratch healing alright? How was he while your friends were taking care of him? This might be incidental in regards ***** ***** current issue he is facing...

Customer:

It seems OK. It is quite a big scab now like a penny it isn't weeping or anything.

Dr. Altman :

Is he always turning the same way to look backwards?

Customer:

He seemed fine while they were looking after him.

Customer:

Yes he seems to be

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately the trembling/ shivering is related to malaise or simply not feeling well. It doesn't help guide where our concerned are

Dr. Altman :

Do you have an ability to take his temperature? A digital or mercury thermometer?

Customer:

no :( he doesn't feel hot at all

Dr. Altman :

OK, it was one way to rule out an infection if it was available to you

Dr. Altman :

Using the attached form, can you please give me a number of his discomfort, CLICK HERE

Customer:

He seemed ok when I took him for a short walk

Dr. Altman :

Have your friends cared for him previously while you have travelled or is this a first?

Customer:

I would say 1. No this is the first time.

Dr. Altman :

You mentioned you tried treats, has he eaten them?

Dr. Altman :

Often when boarded or even staying with friends they can do great while you were away then the first few days or your return they break with stress gastroenteritis. It is quite common. Is he licking his lips, wanting to eat grass, gurgling stomach, or increased salivation at all?

Customer:

He had a couple to begin with but he isn't interested and he is usually excited by them

Dr. Altman :

He might be turning to look at his stomach. If he is having stomach cramps dogs will sometimes turn around and look at their belly. Is this possibly what he is doing?

Customer:

It is possible. Maybe. He is quite hang dog and has been opening his mouth but not drooling or salivating

Dr. Altman :

Do you have any antacids at home?

Customer:

You mean for stomach upset like gaviscon?

Dr. Altman :

Going back, glad to hear he is only a 1 at this time but if he becomes more of a 2+ then I would consider a veterinary er tonight to get him some relief. Otherwise you likely can wait until morning to have him seen

Dr. Altman :

Famotidine or omeprazole?

Customer:

No are they UK?

Dr. Altman :

Gaviscon is more for heartburn, the antacids I listed are the names of the products. In the states they are pepcid or prilosec but not sure of the trade name in the UK. I have helped people in the UK that have this in their cabinets though

Customer:

He has been stretching.

Dr. Altman :

That is a sign of gi cramping and gi distress. The walking can definitely help if it is gi related so if you are able to take him on a few more walks tonight that would be great

Dr. Altman :

It helps increase gi motility, reduces cramping and nausea as well

Dr. Altman :

If we don't have an antacid then unfortunately that is the best we can do tonight to help give him relief

Dr. Altman :

I wouldn't push any further treats or food on him if he is not interested because if he is nauseous it might cause vomiting episodes to start

Customer:

Will indigestion tablets help?

Dr. Altman :

Do you know what the main ingredient is please?

Customer:

My partner is just looking. Thank you btw. Am feeling better about.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome, glad I could give a little relief

Customer:

Semiticone.

Dr. Altman :

Simethicone?

Customer:

Magnesium carbonate

Dr. Altman :

Is this a capsule or a liquid?

Customer:

Chewable pill

Dr. Altman :

Is it called simethicone? Do you have a mg? How much does Barney weigh? This likely is going to be too concentrated for him

Customer:

He is 17kg

Dr. Altman :

And the mg?

Customer:

25

Customer:

Simeticone it says

Dr. Altman :

OK please give me one moment

Dr. Altman :

You should be fine administering that to him if needed. It he is gassy that can help with gas related crmaping

Dr. Altman :

cramping

Customer:

Half a pill or one pill do you think?

Customer:

How long do the symptoms usually last?

Dr. Altman :

Dosages of 1 to 2 mg/lb body weight so one capsule should be fine

Dr. Altman :

Or chewable

Dr. Altman :

It really can vary, this can progress to more gi upset such as diarrhea and vomiting

Dr. Altman :

If it continues throughout the night I would have your veterinarian evaluate him

Customer:

Thank you. Were trying to make sure it wasn't blood poisoning

Dr. Altman :

Often if that were the case then I would imagine he would be running a fever

Dr. Altman :

But if there is not any improvement please have him seen in the morning

Dr. Altman :

Can I clarify anything or assist with any additional questions tonight?

Customer:

No. Thank you very much! Dr altman

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

I hope he is feeling better by morning, truly

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.