Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hiya, my mum has just has my dog put down, he is a old Tyme

Customer Question

Hiya, my mum has just has my dog put down, he is a old Tyme bull dog and is about 6 years of age. A few months ago his personality started to change and he just used to randy go for some people , he's never attacked me or anyone in the family he just never liked old women or some kids, he's always been warey off them. So a few weeks ago we started finding blood in his excretion and he's been being sick a few times but just bile nothing was coming up, he had blood clots coming from his bum, and my mum says he was in pain? He was fine in hisself though he still had a good appetite and drank plenty of water just a quote healthy dog. He's always had skin problems but that's just a bulldogs family, they tend too suffer with skin problems. My mum said he had 'Bowel Cancer' but if am being 100% honest she's been saying about getting rid of him for a while now so I think this was just a lie and an excuse. Can you please help too put my mind at rest please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
My condolences for your loss of Bobbie. My initial thought was that his personality change was the result of pain-induced/irritable aggression. Metabolic disorders such as liver or renal disease, endocrine (hormonal) disorders, central nervous system (brain) disorders, or even a lack of sleep might lead to irritable aggression.
Bobbie's hematochezia (blood in his stool) wasn't necessarily due to "bowel cancer" but did indicate severe inflammation and/or ulceration in his lower gastrointestinal tract - certainly a disorder likely to make him cranky. In most cases, I would work up such a case by presumptively worming my patient and if that weren't helpful, performing a gastrointestinal diagnostic panel of blood/urine tests and moving on to X-ray or ultrasound my patient's abdomen and even scope and biopsy the GI tract if necessary. If financial constraints existed, I might simply presumptively treat for an ulcerative colitis with certain drugs designed for that purpose.
I suspect as you do, that mum felt that Bobbie's behavior was intolerable and his medical issues were the straw that broke the camel's back. There were alternatives to euthanasia. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner.