Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog has lots of dandruff and seems to be getting small patches

Customer Question

my dog has lots of dandruff and seems to be getting small patches of hair loss in different parts of his body ... he is really play full though and still his happy self
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you tell me is this skin condition ever itchy for him?

JACUSTOMER-53n1t7k0- :

no it dosent seem to bother him he shakes his sell ever now and again thats all

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for that, second question. Does he ever get bald patches and if so what does the skin look like underneath?

JACUSTOMER-53n1t7k0- :

yes he has bald patches but the skin is just white no red ness e.c.t its just dandruff

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for that, Ih has actual hair loss then the danger is that you could be dealing with ringworm, other conditions such as mange and eczema and dermatitis are pretty well always itchy.

JACUSTOMER-53n1t7k0- :

what sort of treatment could i buy to try and sort this?

Scott Nimmo :

This is tricky to diagnose at home so you should have your vet check him over, a quick test using a special light source { Woods lamp } will help diagnose ringworm.

JACUSTOMER-53n1t7k0- :

if he had ring worn would it come out in his motion?

Scott Nimmo :

There is unfortunately not much you can get over the counter to treat ringworm in the UK and first you have to be sure what you are dealing with.

Scott Nimmo :

Aaah although it is called ringworm it is not a worm at all, it is a fungal infection which is confined to the skin.

JACUSTOMER-53n1t7k0- :

is there eny sort of good shampoo that i can buy for his skin when i shower him

In the meantime for the dandruff there is reason why you should not use " human " head and shoulders, this is medicated and works well in the dog
Another possibility is that this is a problem with the moulting cycle. There are in fact very few drugs which will directly affect the moulting cycle and stop excessive shedding, but one such is thought to long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Dog show people often used to add this to their dog's diet as a supplement using commercial products such as Mirracoat.

However a very good source is healthy margarines such as Flora which are rich in polyunsaturates, over the years my clients have often reported very good results in halting excessive moulting by adding a couple of teaspoons of Flora to the dog's diet each day. It takes about a month to exert its effect but you most likely have this type of margarine in the fridge anyway.
That's about it ...

Have your dog checked for ringworm, wash him twice a week in head and shoulders and add flora to his food.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott