Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

we have a ten month year old jack cross chi, I work three days

we have a ten month year old jack cross chi, I work three days a week ten till three, our dog has access to a lovely garden etc but I feel he is lonely. would we benefit from getting another dog to keep him company?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm going to be very honest here and say that getting a new dog should be done because you feel like you and your family want one rather than getting one for possible company for the other dog. The reason I state it like this is that getting another dog adds work and financial commitment for you. Would the other dog enjoy the company of another dog? A vast majority would. There are some outliers whom wouldn't be too fond of having another dog in the household. If they got along, they could keep each other more entertained. But, that again increases the work load of you having to take care of them. I again just want every owner to know that it isn't as simple as getting a second dog and now everything is great.