Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog a Staffordshire Terrier has within a few hours

My dog a Staffordshire Bull Terrier has within a few hours developed a palm sized lump in the thyroid region. It is hard to the touch and does not appear to cause him any discomfort.
I have checked inside his mouth but cannot find anything that would cause an internal infection.
I keep pigeons and he if not watched will eat their droppings.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about your fellow's sudden, palm sized, firm swelling.
The most common cause of a sudden firm swelling is an allergic reaction.
This is usually to an insect bite or sting. Sometimes we never figure out the cause because the bite/sting is covered up by diffuse swelling.
Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.
Is his breathing and activity is normal?
No vomiting or diarrhea?
You can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at 2mg to 4mg per kilogram of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 7 to 12 kilograms of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.
Dogs take a really high dose compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do.
This may make him a little sleepy.
And then you'll need to watch him closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.
The swelling should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.
In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first.
And that is very rare.
Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.
Because you know now that he has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.
If you notice progression of his symptoms don't wait, have him checked by emergency.
If you'd like you can have his regular vet check him. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster.
But if he seems to be doing well then I would just call them and let them know so it is on his record for future reference.
Other possible reasons for a firm swelling in that area include a salivary gland mucocele (blocked salivary gland duct) or an enlarged lymph node, but they don't usually swell up as suddenly as you have described.
If he isn't improving with antihistamine therapy he should see his veterinarian.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.